The RTITB Forklift Training Course – Counterbalance – Experienced Operator course is designed for those with prior experience of forklift truck operation, but have had no previous formal training, who wish to achieve a nationally recognised operator qualification in the safe and correct use of counterbalance forklift up to a 5000 kg lifting capacity.
Since the safe use of forklift trucks require that delegates consult safety notices and read and thoroughly understand the manufacturer’s instruction manual, English literacy and language comprehension are important requirements for any user.
At the end of the course, delegates will take a short multiple choice test. Please click here
for a copy of an RTITB Mock Paper. There are a number of safety critical questions that must be answered correctly in order to pass the examination.
Once delegates have passed the theory test, they move onto the practical assessment where they will be tested on their ability to operate correctly and skillfully, but also without undue slowness, hesitancy or excessive speed. There are a number of exercises that must be completed such as stacking and destacking operations, reversing and accelerating.
The cut off for the practical assessment is 40 penalty points, however there are some circumstances where the delegate could be disqualified from completing the test such as violent collisions, operating dangerously, unsafe stacking or incurring more than three 5 point penalties in one area.
Successful delegates will receive a certificate and Photo ID card accredited by RTITB which will be valid for a period of 3 years from the date of the course.
Successful delegates will gain a better understanding of current relevant legislation, best practice and refresh their skills and ability in the safe use of Counter Balance Fork Trucks up to 5000kg capacity in line with current approved methods and manufacturer’s instructions. The course agenda includes:
- Introduction to the forklift truck to be used - Daily Maintenance Checks
- Relevant Legislation and Regulations - Health & Safety at Work Act 1974, PUWER 1998, LOLER 1998 and L117 - Rider Operated lift trucks (ACOP & Guidance)
- Pre-use inspection and take over maintenance
- Care of batteries/LPG/Diesel Trucks
- Controls and instruments
- Weight assessment / Stability Factors
- Starting, moving and stopping the truck
- Handling laden and unladen pallets
- Operation of hydraulic controls
- Stacking/de-stacking – free standing and in racking at various heights
- Loading and Unloading Procedures
- Safety code testing
- Practical test of basic operating skills
- Written test of operating knowledge